Saturday, December 28, 2013

Oreo Truffles

I love truffles and cake pops, but until now had not made any myself. At a cookie exchange party I went to last year, someone brought some Oreo truffles and said that all they did was smash them up, mix in some cream cheese, and cover them in chocolate. I told myself then that I would try someday to make some, and I finally did. I decided to use Cool Mint Oreos rather than use regular ones. They are amazing! Coated in a hard chocolate shell, these truffles are nice and moist on the inside with a slight minty taste. You can make your own delicious Oreo Truffles by following the recipe below with whatever flavor of Oreos you choose.



I got my one and a half year old involved in making these by putting the Oreos in a gallon-size Ziploc bag in front of him and showing him how to smash them. Soon, he was hitting the bag of cookies with his fist and having such a fun time. 




Once the cookies were turned into crumbs, I poured them from the bag into a large mixing bowl and mixed in a package of softened cream cheese.




Next I rolled the mixture into 1” balls and set them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerated the balls for 30 minutes to an hour to set.



Next, I melted my chocolate to coat the truffles. I used a Wilton Chocolate Melting Pot, but you can use whatever method you want. You can use a double boiler, a pot on the stove over low heat (stirring constantly), or even microwave your chocolate, stirring every 15-30 seconds to ensure the chocolate is evenly melted.




Remove the balls from the fridge when the chocolate is melted, so they stay cold as long as possible. Then coat them in chocolate and return them to your wax paper covered cookie sheet. 





When your truffles are coated with chocolate, return them to the fridge for 15-30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.  When the chocolate is hardened, you can remove them from the cookie sheet and place in a tightly sealed container or a large Ziploc bag. It is best to store these in the fridge until ready to serve. I was able to make 2.5 dozen with this recipe, and within 12 hours of them being finished, there were only about 10 left in the fridge. Someone's been snitching truffles! I've been eating the fudge, so I'm sugared out, so it wasn't me. Hmm... who will eat them all in your house?  (They were all gone within a day.)

Oreo Truffles

Ingredients:
1 package Oreos, any flavor
1-8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
Chocolate to melt for the coating (I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers)

Steps:
1. Place Oreos in a gallon-size Ziploc bag and close with as much air out as possible. Smash the Oreos until they are crumbs.
2. Pour Oreo crumbs from bag into a large bowl and mix in cream cheese.
3. Roll Oreo mixture into 1” balls and place on a cookie sheet lines with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes-1 hour to set.
4. Melt chocolate and cover each ball in chocolate, then return to fridge for 15-30 minutes or until chocolate is hardened.
5. Store in tightly covered container in fridge for up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment