Thursday, February 20, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Since D. wants to eat healthier, I've been looking into ways to make some of our favorite foods healthier for us.  One of the ways I'm trying to do this is by making things by scratch, that I might have previously bought from a store, including pre-packaged seasonings.  Many store bought seasoning packets contain high amounts of sodium as well as many preservatives that are not so good for our bodies.  By making my own seasonings I can eliminate these preservatives and I can limit the amount of sodium in them.  Today I will share with you my recipe for my homemade taco seasoning.


Taco Seasoning
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1/4 -1/2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper

Steps:
1.  Mix well and store in an airtight container.  Stores for a longer length of time if stored in the freezer.
2.  To use, use 2 Tbsp. per pound of meat (or in place of a packet of taco seasoning when called for in a recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment