Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Spanish Rice

I remember many times when my family and I would go to a Mexican restaurant when I was a kid, and no matter what you ordered, it came with rice and beans.  However, it was always refried beans and a rice that had a red tint.  Well, I figured out how to make that rice.  Now when I make Spanish foods, I can serve "rice and beans" like at the restaurants.


First I sauteed some onions in some oil in a pot for about 5 minutes.


Then I added the rice and stirred it in the oil with the onions over medium heat until the rice started to brown.


Next I added the chicken broth and salsa.  I reduced the heat and allowed it to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the rice was cooked and the liquid was absorbed.


That's it and you have restaurant-style Spanish rice!


Spanish Rice
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chunky salsa

Steps:
1.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Stir in onions and saute, cooking until tender, about 5 minutes.
2.  Mix rice into skillet, stirring often until rice begins to brown.
3.  Stir in chicken broth and salsa.  Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment