Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Soft Pretzels

Today's post will not actually include a recipe, but instead a link to a recipe that I found on Pinterest. But I did make the item, so I will be including my own pictures today.

One day, while looking on Pinterest, I found a recipe for Homemade Soft Pretzels. I love soft pretzels. My family lives in Amish Country, Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), and one day when I younger, we went to a small soft pretzel factory and they let us try making our own. Since then, I have always wanted to make them on my own at home, but never did, because I couldn't find a recipe that I liked enough to try it. Instead I would buy frozen soft pretzels, or if I was near Auntie Anne's Pretzels or Wetzel's Pretzels.

The recipe that I am talking about was found at the following link: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/12/25/30-minute-whole-wheat-pretzels/

I made them on my own (though I did you all white flour instead of whole wheat flour), including boiling them in the water with baking soda and egg wash. At some point I do want to find a way to do them without the egg, because I would love to be able to make some that people who are allergic to eggs can eat, like my mom. But the final result was delicious soft pretzels. They were so good that the three of us in our family who eat food (since little baby A. is too young) finished them all in just a few hours (and I made 10). I am thinking of making a double batch the next time I make some and freezing them, so an easy snack in the freezer. I might even make a variety of types of soft pretzels (regular, cheesy, and some cinnamon-sugar pretzels).

And now with no further delay, here's the pictures from my soft pretzel making adventure.  I encourage you to make your own soft pretzels by following the recipe provided by Sally at http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/12/25/30-minute-whole-wheat-pretzels/.

 Yeast and water mixture

 Almost done mixing in the flour.

 Ready to start kneading the dough.

 My water and baking soda heating up.

One of my pretzels ready to boil.

 Half of my pretzels after they've been boiled.

Boiling a pretzel.

On the pan after the egg wash, ready to bake.


Finished pretzels!

No comments:

Post a Comment