Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Valentine's Foods - Heart-Shaped Meatballs

Meatballs are not just for spaghetti.  They are also a delicious appetizer served with the sauce of your choice. For a delicious Valentine's treat, try these meatballs made by forming them in a heart-shaped cookie cutter.


When making these, I decided to use my regular meatball recipe and make a triple batch, so I could make these heart-shaped meatballs as well as regular meatballs to freeze for quick, easy meals in the future.  First I made the meatball mixture by mixing together ground beef, ground sausage, Italian breadcrumbs, egg, onion, and garlic.





Then I used a cookie cutter to form the hearts.


Like I said, I made these early, and also made regular meatballs.  Since I was making these early, I placed each of the meat balls on a wax-paper lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer.


Once they were frozen, I moved them into a gallon-size Ziploc freezer bag, labeling the bag with the date and cooking instructions.



When I wanted to cook them, I put them on a baking sheet directly from the freezer and baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.




If not freezing, form your meatballs and place them on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until browned and cooked through.

Heart-Shaped Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg
½ onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic


Steps:
1.  Mix together ground beef, ground sausage, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, and garlic. 
2.  Form into hearts by pressing meat into cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet.
3.  Cook for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees until cooked through. 

TO FREEZE:  Can freeze on wax paper lined baking sheet and store in gallon size bag before cooking and then cooking directly from freezer. (Add about 10 minutes extra cooking time.)


No comments:

Post a Comment